- 4 large potatoes (about 2.5 pound)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black paper
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 medium onion graded
- 1-cup cornmeal or matzo meal
- 1.5 cups crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1.5 cup of applesauce
1. Fill a large bowl with cold water. Peel and half the potatoes and put them in the bowl of cold water to prevent browning.
2. Grate the potatoes and onions, combine with eggs, salt, pepper in large bowl, and squeeze it with your hands to get the extra water out. Add the cornmeal or Matzo meal and mix to combine.
5. Line baking sheet with paper towels.
6. Scoop up potato mixture and carefully drop it into hot oil. Use the back of a spoon to flatten the latkes. Don’t let them touch each other and don’t overcrowd your pan, fry until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Drain on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. To keep the latkes warm and crispy once fried, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a 200F oven until ready to serve.
8. To serve, place the latkes on a large serving tray and garnish each with sour cream and /or applesauce